Asheville, North Carolina, United States
April 24- May 14, 2011
The Natural Building Extravaganza
The NBX offered three weeks of learning opportunities to 50+ people from the US, Canada, Holland, and Colombia. 10 projects were built at the Ashevillage Institute — an eco-urban demonstration site that is an affiliated program of Kleiwerks International. There were tours, slideshow presentations, and classes led by leading ecological design-build specialists–all so participants could learn how to use local materials, such as mud, bamboo, and timbers, to build.
• Outdoor kitchen with a highly efficient wood-fired baking oven and earthen cook stove
• Earthen sculpture beautification on an old brick house
• Wood-fired hot tub and Rumford fireplace
• Adobe arches and wall construction
• Bamboo fence and archway trellis
• Earthen plasters and paints
• Timber-framed tool shed
Janell Kapoor, Eva & Max Edleson, Chad ‘Fez’ Gaetz, Meka Bunch, Ira Friedrichs, Kevin Rowell, Reida Sage, and special guests
Mellow Mushroom, Buchi, NUMI Tea, Fresh Market, Sunny Point Cafe, Firestorm Cafe, Greenlife, Laurey’s Catering, Home Depot, JR Stone, Barley’s Pizza, Kathmandu Cafe, Earthfare, Posana Cafe, French Broad Food Coop, The Wine Studio, Roman’s Deli, The Wedge, Loretta’s, West End Bakery, Highland Brewery
Article on the NBX written by a local blogger.
Video below: NBX participants building a barrel oven.